Damaged passport is classified further based on the extent of damage, i.e.:

  1. Damaged Passport - Passport number is readable, name is legible and photo is intact
  2. Damaged beyond recognition

If you have lost your passport during traveling, then you can come to India on the basis of "Emergency Certificate". For the issuance of "Emergency Certificate", you need to contact the respective mission/post of that country.

To apply for duplicate passport in case of lost or damaged passport, you need to apply for "Re-issue" of passport.

In case your passport has not been damaged beyond recognition, i.e. passport number is legible, name is legible and photo is intact, then you can apply for re-issue of passport under the Tatkaal scheme. But, if passport has been damaged beyond recognition, then you cannot apply under the Tatkaal scheme. In that case, you need to visit Passport Officer at your nearest Passport Seva Kendra to get the passport on urgent basis.

In case of lost passport, you need to apply for re-issue of passport. Following documents must be submitted along with the application:

  1. Proof of Present Address
  2. Proof of Date of Birth
  3. Affidavit stating how and where the passport got lost/damaged (Annexure 'L')
  4. Police report in original
  5. Self-attested photocopy of first two and last two pages, including ECR/Non-ECR page of old passport, if available.

Passport is a very valuable document. Thus, in order to ensure that it does not go in wrong hands, police verification is required for issuance of passport.

In such cases, minors can be issued passport under the Tatkaal scheme subject to approval of competent authorit

There are more than 20 nonimmigrant visa types for people traveling to the United States temporarily. There are many more types of immigrant visas for those coming to live permanently in the United States. The type of Visa you need is determined by the purpose of your intended travel. 

My Parents & I have applied for education loan too

Yes, I want to continue in the same major. I have also exchanged some emails with the professors in that department, which has further encouraged for me to pursue the same major in my masters also.

Passport cannot be issued without police verification in your case. But if you either produce copy of child's (Age greater than 18) passport, who is staying abroad (with page having parent's name) as an additional document along with your application or apply under the Tatkaal scheme, you can be issued a passport on post police verification basis.